Wednesday, September 23, 2015

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact.  Everything we see is a perspective, not a truth." -Marcus Aurelius.  To an extent I believe that this quote is true.  I believe that the truth to this quote, is generally what we see is a perspective, not a truth.  I believe that this part is true, because often times what we see, can be perceived different ways depending on where you are standing, or what your beliefs are.  I remember one time, my science teacher did this magic trick, where he tapped a quarter with a pencil three times.  On the third time, the pencil disappeared.  I was astonished, until he turned and looked at me, and it was behind his ear.  It was just a matter of perspective.  My half of the class was on the side where the pencil was not visible, so it appeared to vanish.  The other half of the class was able to see it, because they could tell that it was behind his ear. There was no truth behind the pencil disappearing, just a matter of where you were in the classroom.  Now, moving onto the first half of the quote, I believe that there are certain things that are facts, such as 2 + 2 = 4.  This can be told to you when you are a child, and you may just accept it just because.  If you were anything like me, however, you would always want to know why things were the way they were.  If somebody who told me that 2 + 2 = 4, they would have to count out two groups of two, and then group them together to create a group of four.  Sometimes things that are said to you are opinions, but often times, there are facts as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment